Job Title: Intern, Disaster Services
Hours Per Week: 25
Job Category: Other Job Type: Off-Campus Job
Work Type: Non work-study job
Position Description: The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in chapters across the country through our Internship Program. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects.
The overall aim of the program is to attract a pool of diverse, skilled, enthusiastic young professionals and provide them with an opportunity to build a long-term, substantive life-long relationship with the Red Cross.
The Intern, Disaster Services is a paid internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. The opportunity is based in Rapid City, SD at our local Chapter at 1221 N. Maple Ave.
• Undergraduate or Graduate student pursuing a degree in Non-profit administration, volunteer management, Leadership, Communications , Training & Development, Emergency Management, Social Work, Communications, Business, and Fire Science, EMT, etc.
• Must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship
• Valid Driver’s License
• Able to work with diverse populations
• Familiarity with tribal community
• Day Time Availability
• Computer Skills:
o Excels at Microsoft office software: Word; Excel; Publisher; Access.
o Comfortable with online research
o Proficient at Google Based Programs or willing/able to learn Google Based Programs
The Intern, Disaster Services will:
• Recruit, Engage & Train DAT Members
• Recruit, Engage & Train Preparedness Volunteers
• Recruit, Engage & Train Mass Care Volunteers
• Provide training to general volunteers
• Cultivate leadership volunteers to take over specific programs such as: Home Fire Preparedness Campaign; DAT Training and Scheduling;
• Update/Develop Procedure Manuals
• Respond to disasters in assigned areas within two hours of notification
• Enter all necessary casework into CAS
• Contact potential shelters to complete surveys and enter information into NSS
Candidates will be considered for the Spring 2016 semester.
• 25 hours/week
To apply for this position, please apply online at
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply: www.americanredcross.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=60510