Pizza with Aliens: Cultural diversity panel discussion set for NDSU (Diversity)
An informative panel discussion, titled “Pizza with Aliens,”is scheduled at NDSU on Thursday, April 12, at 6 p.m. in the Memorial Union’s Century Theater. The event is sponsored by NDSU International Student and Study Abroad Services, The World in FM and Global Shapers Community, Fargo.
Described as “a critical conversation on cultural diversity,” the discussion will focus on the perspectives and experiences of NDSU students, faculty and staff.
Panelists are set to include:
• Asif Arshid, NDSU student from Pakistan
• Ibtissem Belmihoub, NDSU student from Algeria
• Jered Pigeon, NDSU multicultural coordinator
• Julia Ozaniakova, Concordia College student from Slovakia
• Kendall Grimm, NDSU student from the U.S.A.
• Kevin Brooks, NDSU professor of English from Canada
• Maggie Christie, Minnesota State University Moorhead alumna
• Mohsen Tahmasebi Nasab, NDSU student from Iran
• Ntwali Cuyusa, NDSU student from Rwanda
• Samantha Steckler, NDSU alumna
The event is open to the public. It was organized by students, with the intent to facilitate a discussion among community members.
“Holding cultural conversations on our campus allows students to develop a greater appreciation of the global world and learn right here from the students who sit next to them in class,” Pigeon said.
Belmihoub, a doctoral student studying rhetoric, writing and culture, said, “Events like ‘Pizza with Aliens’ allow the NDSU community to get to know and connect with foreign-born residents that go to our campus and live in our shared community. Attendees will get an opportunity to have a friendly critical conversation with students, faculty and staff from foreign countries, as well as Americans who work with diverse populations.”
Tahmasebi Nasab, who is a doctoral student in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, said, “Rapid social and technological advances have facilitated communication among different parts of the world with different cultures. However, as a community, we need to be prepared to function in a diverse society. We hope that our discussion initiates more conversation on cultural diversity and related issues.” More information...
Memorial Union Century Theater
Jered Pigeon email@example.com
copy this event into your personal desktop calendar